Monday, August 22, 2011

Cake Balls 101

After watching both of my roommates make cake balls effortlessly, I decided it was my turn...two weeks in a row. (Hence why the cake batter changes in the middle of my blog :) It is definitely not as effortlessly as it seemed :)

My co-worker Jennifer was due September 19 with a little girl, who decided to surprise everyone 2 weeks ago. She is doing great though! With that aside, the week before Jen actually had little Reagen, we threw her her one and only shower that she was able to have :) Per Jen's request, I made cake balls...of course they had to be pink inside for a girl...so I chose strawberry. A few days later I made another round for Jose's birthday and for my other co-workers...this time funfetti. Enjoy the pics below:

1. Start by making the cake either from scratch or from the box. Cook as directed and let cool completely. (Sorry no picture of the cake)

2. After the cake has completely cooled, crumble it in a bowl with either pre-made icing or your homemade icing. Mix together.

3. Next I roll out all of the cake balls. Let me tell you...this was the most tedious part. I had to rinse my hands about every 8-12 cake ball. They started falling apart if I didn't. After that, I then put them in the fridge for a few hours (my second batch I left in there overnight and just covered with foil).

4. This is where the pictures change from one dough to another...after I pulled the cake balls out of the fridge and laid down wax paper/foil, I melted my candy coating a few blocks at a time and started dipping! (I melt only a few blocks at a time because the candy coating hardens quickly, so you have to work quickly!) This takes quite awhile, but they dry quickly so it makes it that much more worth it.

5. Decorate as you wish. I had the funfetti sprinkles that I put on top. You HAVE to do this while the chocolate is still in the process of hardening. In the last picture, I ran out of candy coating, but had enough to dip the top in and add sprinkles!

Enjoy!


No comments: